Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Dramamine for breakfast

Lets catch you folks up on life here!
Last weekend our excursion was to Lake Como. This is a large lake with several surrounding cities. One of the cities, Menaggio, is where our youth hostel was. Bellagio, where we "played", is a famous city of romance. The whole thing was very beautiful, but unfortunately, due to poor planning we didn't do anything but wander around the two cities. We took a bus from the train station to the town, but anyone and everyone who knows me knows that windy roads and I do not get along. I just tried to breath deep and ignore the Italian woman next to me asking questions, but after about an hour I told the group I had to get off or I would be sick. When we had to walk 45 minutes to the next town, they were not very happy with me. Needless to say, lunch was on me before we had to pay for another bus and continue on our way. I've decided that with these mountainous roads and crazy drivers in Italy, I should just start taking Dramamine like vitamins everyday.

Anywho. We wandered around, shopped (but neither Allison or I bought anything), lost my camera, found my camera, ate gelato, ate lunch, ate gelato, ate dinner... you get the gist. There are a few pictures on the website of that adventure. Check it out.

Monday was a catch up day, but while the other four are being diligent with their studies, I am doing everything I can to make myself study for more than two hours a day. This is NOT like me, but I just have too much free time. That sounds odd, but unless I know that I only have 45 minutes to get something done or some kind of set time frame like that, I will live in the world of, "eh. I'll do it later." To finish off the night, we all attended a lecture on ettiquite. Cori, you should be proud to know I scored a 26 out of 35. Room for improvement, I know. But the average is twelve! Fun facts: (1) Always hold your glass in your left hand at social events. (2) A man should walk before a woman going down the stairs, and after her going up. (3) In Europe, you butter your bread on the plate, not in your hand.

Yesterday was Happy Birthday to me. I had a test, did some laundry, went to class.. the usual Tuesday stuff. THEN I got a beautiful bouquet of pink gerbera daisies with baby's breath, a pedicure (to be redeemed), and a card from my best friend (no offense, Chyla). Then I went to the nearby coffee shop, Alpine, and worked on Bible study and After Bible study, we had a lemon and chocolate cake from Alpine. Even though there was no gift wrap or birthday party or dinner or wine or anything like that it was a perfect birthday with some of my best friends.

Today is rainy, but my Italian class went to Asolo for a mini-field-trip. What a beautiful city so close by! It rained the whole time, but I took my dramamine before I got on the bus, so it was [comparably] very fun.

This weekend my parents are coming. We will go to Rome, Florence, and end up in the Istria region with my aunt Cindy and cousin Adriana. Even though I will be packing ten days into a small backpack, I am excited for the adventures!

Keep us in your prayers. You know what to be praying for!

"Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise, that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread, for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!"
(Psalm 119:33-40)

4 comments:

LBMassey said...

Happy belated birthday Sam! I heard Lake Commo is beautiful. Hope you have fun n Rome with your parents. Give me a call before or when you get into Florence.

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in either this blog or on the internet was a Happy Birthday to You from us. Don't see it now, so glad to see you had a wonderful birthday. Certainly one to remember, the special one in Italy. As I write, your Dad and Mom are on their way (let's see are they there yet?) How very exciting for all of you. Know your Aunt Cindy is anxious to show off Istria. What a great opportunity. Have fun with family. Keep us posted. Lots of love to you. Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

You always hold your drink in your left hand so that your right hand is free for shaking and exchanging business cards. I am very proud of you for taking after mom. :)

Sounds like it was the perfect Sam birthday--can't wait to here all about your trip!
Love Cori

Anonymous said...

I meant "hear" about your trip.